Skip to main content

Freedom in Christ

Let’s talk about the Christian’s freedom for a minute. When we choose Jesus as Lord, the Word says we have received “adoption as sons,” “redeemed under the law,” “no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, than an heir” (Gal 4:5,7). We identify new with the family of God and identify ourselves as His children. 


This morning as I read through 2 Corinthians 3, I stumbled on a favorite cultural verse: “…where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom” (v 17) What exactly does that mean? Freedom IN what or FROM what? In this specific context, Paul was referring to freedom from the guilt and shame tied to the Law (aka old covenant). When Christ came, he fulfilled the law (Matt 5:17) of the Jews by providing a “once for all” sanctification (Heb 10:10) from the shame and guilt of sin through his death and resurrection. After Christ ascended, new Christ followers were having difficulty changing their lifestyle from an almost anal attentiveness to the Old Covenant Law to sharing this “good news” about the Messiah, who had come in a very unorthodox timing and style. 

 Here's the thing about freedom and people, though. We are moral beings, which means we were created to live by the order of some form of morality, whether we choose to walk in Christ or not. (C.S. Lewis has much more to say on this in Mere Christianity). We are created beings; in our nature we bend either to Law or to Flesh (which is self-made law). In Christianese, we might use the terms legalism and liberalism; Liberalism disguised might be called “grace” and legalism might be called “discipline.” Grace and discipline, by the way, are both important aspects of the Christian walk when they come under the authority of the Spirit. Grace under flesh might show as excused or even celebrated sin; discipline under flesh might be displayed as rigid rituals or beliefs with no compassion or kindness toward others. 


Galatians 5 and Romans 8 do a superb job of breaking down the complexities of freedom. 
 “For freedom Christ has set us free” (Gal 5:1). Galatians 5 shares that our freedom comes IN walking in step with the Spirit. 
 “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh” (5:16). It goes on to explain that the Spirit and the flesh clash with each other. Which is why the definition of a Christian is being born again….we now have Christ’s life in us, and we have put to death our flesh. Once we’ve chosen to walk with Christ, we can no longer allow our sin to identify us. 
As Matthew 6:24 reminds us, “No one can serve two masters”. We cannot let the Lord and our own Flesh rule together. “For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh…” (Gal 5:13) Our flesh is, according to Mosaic law, “your fallen, sinful desires [which] act contrary to God’s moral laws.” The chapter continues with specific examples of acts of the flesh. 


Jesus had a conversation about being “free” in John 8. After teaching that the truth would set them free, the Jews retorted, “We’ve never been enslaved to anyone. Why do we need freedom?” Jesus answered, “Truly…everyone who practices sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son remains forever” (John 8:35). God doesn’t want us to be His slaves. He wants us to be His children! Parents keep boundaries for their children because they know their children don’t have the maturity to set their own. We buck and defy, just like our toddlers do to us. But we love our kids enough to hold them back from walking into a busy street. The Lord restrains and disciplines us in His lovingkindness. 

 The freedom I have is bending my will to my Lord, knowing that I no longer live under the slavery of sin, but under the perfect Fatherhood of the God who loves me perfectly. I’ve been adopted and cannot allow myself to identify with who I was before. 

 Who I am now is His Child.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hope...And Other Things

This has been one of those I’d-like-to-rewrite-Ecclesiastes, i.e., everything-is-chasing-after-the-wind weeks. As soon as I make another sacrifice in my diet, a new problem with my body seems to arise. I spend extra money, time, effort, and self-control to be disciplined with my diet and there are moments when it does not seem to show great results. I know that God is using it to teach me, and I know that the process of healing takes time… however. This week I am an impatient, rain-on-the-rooftop nagging, complaining and envying, grouchy, frumpy girl who has chosen not to hope in the joy of salvation of God and His provident plan. “Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured

Dear Girl who Hates Herself/ Wrote Love on My Arms Today

Dear Girl who Hates Herself, I know the headphones you wear hear one speaker: The Whisperer of Lies. I know it muffles all other voices. Please take them off for a minute? Hear HOPE. Hear GRACE. Hear the Voice of the One who already took the punishment. He knows your dirty thoughts and still loves you. He knows your scarred past and still wants you. He hears the muffled cries of your heart and knocks to come in and hold you. He says you’re worth it. He says you’re Something. Please let Him in. You won’t regret it. Love, Girl who has Been There --- MY STORY: The mind is a beautiful and scary thing. Just one thought can inspire life….or death. No one expects a good ol’ Christian girl to know this pain. No one thinks twice to examine the heart of a 14-year-old in youth group and FCA. Externally, I was “fine.” I looked happy. I was playful. I was a ‘normal’ teenage kid. But on the inside, I was falling apart. I knew God was real, knew He had paid the pen

Zakar: remember

I am rendered sanctified. I am given into acknowledgement of righteousness by God. I am consecrated by Christ's blood, submitted to the High Judge for purification. Daily, hourly. Each moment. The unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God. BUT. I was bathed, consecrated by the blood of a strange, lonely carpenter. I am admitted venerable, "accorded great respect" by the Almighty. Therefore I must declare the works of Him. He who established a testimony with Israel and appointed a law which he commanded our fathers to teach to their children, that the next generation might know,...the children yet unborn,...so that they should set their hope in GOD and NOT FORGET the works of God, but keep His commandments. I will not hide the sayings of old from my children. I will tell them of my GOD, of his glorious deeds, of His wonderful works. (paraphrase of Psalm 78:3-7) Zakar, the Greek word for remember. It means to recall, to make a memorial. I must zakar the